We are finally at the end of what has been an absolutely fantastic competition. Our Gluten Free Magic Bake Off 2015 has drawn to a close, and we have our champion.
Firstly, we’d just like to thank everyone who took part in GFMBO 2015. We were so overwhelmed by not only the quantity but the quality of the bakes we have seen over the last couple of months – you are such a talented bunch! It really goes to show that you don’t need gluten to get creative in the kitchen.
Just to remind you of the finalists, we had Jenny Swift with her chocolate hedgehog cake, Dawn Mills with her beautiful Battenberg, and Brittany Howell’s gorgeous raspberry and coconut cake.
So here are the GFMBO 2015 Showstopper cakes, all gluten free and made with our vanilla sponge mix:
Jenny Swift: “Tickle Your Tastebuds – A Trio of Flavours”
- The bottom layer is flavoured with lemon juice, lemon zest and poppy seeds and has a zesty lemon-flavoured icing piped on to the top. It is filled with lemon curd and decorated with slices of lemon and lemon & orange flavoured jellies
- The middle layer is coffee and walnut – the sponge is flavoured with coffee and it has coffee-flavoured buttercream piped onto the top. It is filled with coffee buttercream which has cut up walnuts mixed in with it and the top is decorated with walnuts
- The top layer is flavoured with cocoa to make it a chocolate sponge, it has dark chocolate chips in it and it is decorated with chocolate stars and a mixture of berries: strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. It is filled with chocolate buttercream and has chocolate buttercream piped on the top
Brittany Howell: “Alice in Wonderland – We’re All Mad Here”
“I added some cocoa to some of the cake mix in order to make a marbled effect inside the cake. For the decoration, I decided to give my cake an ‘Alice in Wonderland’ theme. The bottom layer is based on the Cheshire Cat, the middle layer is a ‘Painting the Roses Red’ layer for the Queen of Hearts, and the top layer is the White Rabbit.”
Dawn Mills: “Sweet Shop Delights”
- The top tier is a white chocolate Snowies cake. Vanilla sponge with white chocolate chunks, covered and filled with white chocolate buttercream and decorated in Snowies
- The middle tier is a strawberry Millions layer. A pink strawberry sponge covered and filled with pink strawberry buttercream and decorated in strawberry Millions.
- The bottom tier is a yellow lemon sherbert cake, covered and filled with yellow sherbert lemon buttercream and decorated with Flying Saucers.
As you can see, picking a winner out of these 3 fantastic bakes has been almost an impossible task. We roped in last year’s winner, Kate Hardie, to help us pick the winner, and the verdict is…
…Drum roll please…
Congratulations Jenny! You have won gluten free afternoon tea for two in your choice of either Leeds or Manchester, with an overnight stay in a hotel and a box of goodies to complete the prize. You will also be invited to create your final bake here at Delicious Alchemy so it can be photographed professionally and shared on our website.
Jenny wowed us with her pristine finish, decoration and even layers – we think it would be the perfect celebration cake.
Well done to our runners-up, Dawn and Brittany. Dawn, your cake brought out our inner child and we loved the creative flavours. Brittany, the concept was fantastic and those ears were genius – you certainly have a talent for decoration! It was such a close call, and you will both receive a box of goodies from us as a runners-up prize.
We can’t believe GFMBO is over for another year! Make sure you get involved next year in GFMBO 2016!