We love to bring you new and exciting ways of baking our mixes, and this recipe is no exception.
Our gluten free Vanilla Sponge Mix makes a delicious carrot cake – studded with sultanas, packed into bite-sized cupcake mouthfuls and piled high with lemon-y cream cheese frosting. Yum!
Gluten Free Carrot Cupcakes Recipe
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1 x 400g Delicious Alchemy Gluten Free vanilla sponge mix
- 200g carrot, coarsely grated
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 60g sultanas or raisins
- 50g unsalted butter (or dairy free alternative)
- 125g cream cheese (or dairy free alternative)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 300g icing sugar
- 12 fondant carrots
Ready? Let’s Bake!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan, and line a cupcake tin with 12 paper cases
- Cut off the top and tails of the carrots, then peel and coarsely grate
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil until frothy and pale in colour
- Scatter over the vanilla cake mix, mixed spice, raisins and sultanas and fold everything together with a spatula
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases, filling to about three-quarters full
- Bake for 23-25 minutes until risen and springy to the touch
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before lifting out and leaving to cool completely
For the frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with a spatula or electric whisk until it is soft and smooth
- Add the cream cheese and lemon zest and beat again
- Sift the remaining icing sugar and mix until soft and fluffy
- Scoop the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a plain tube nozzle
- Pipe swirls of frosting on the top of the cupcakes (Alternatively, you can spread it on using a butter knife)
- Decorate with a fondant carrot
This recipe is available to download and print in our National Cupcake Week series from 2014.