We can’t get enough of our Gluten and Dairy Free Vanilla Sponge Mix, and love how it’s versatile enough to be transformed into all sorts of wonderful creations! One of the most common questions we get asked is: “Can your cake be made without using eggs?”
The answer is yes!
Here’s our Egg Free Vanilla Sponge Cake recipe, using mashed potato (we know, but trust us, it’s delicious!), milk (or use soya as a dairy free alternative) and xanthan gum…
Egg Free and Gluten Free Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe
You will need
- 1 pack Delicious Alchemy Gluten and Dairy Free Vanilla Sponge Mix
- 90g baking potato (mashed)
- 25ml milk or soya milk as a dairy free alternative
- 1/3tsp (1g) of xanthan gum
- 180g soft unsalted butter or dairy free alternative
- 20ml water
- 2 x 20cm (8 inch) baking tins
- 3 x mixing bowls
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line your baking tins
- Add the xanthan gum to the vanilla sponge mix and combine well
- Cook your baking potato until soft and squishy, either in the microwave (about 5-10 minutes) or the oven (about 50-60 minutes)
- Scoop out the insides of the potato and mash!
- In a small bowl, mix together 90g of the mashed potato and all the milk to create a smooth paste
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined – you can either use an electric mixer or a wooden spoon
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown and springy to the touch
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 mins before turning out and leaving to cool completely
- Fill, decorate and enjoy!
You can use the same recipe to make delicious gluten free vanilla cupcakes, simply adjust the baking time to 18-20 minutes!
Looking for more egg free recipes?
Try our recipe for Egg Free and Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies!