Summer is finally on the horizon, and that means many of us will soon be heading abroad. If you’re travelling, whether it’s for work or play, the last thing you’ll want to worry about is gluten making its way into your food. We’ve put together some of our favourite tips on how to travel gluten free, so you can get on with the more important things.
How to travel gluten free
It’s all about the preparation…
- First things first – the journey. Contact your airline or rail provider, and check if they offer in-flight gluten free foods. Most companies should be able to provide for you, though some will need a bit of notice.
- Going inclusive, or staying in a hotel with a restaurant? You should be able to enquire about the in-house menu before you set off to ensure they offer gluten free options.
- Check if your hotel room has a refrigerator or microwave, in case you want to prepare your own meals.
- Research the local cuisine and look up what it contains, particularly if you don’t speak the language of the country you’re going to.
- Make sure you tell your travel insurance company if you have coeliac disease – it’s unlikely they’ll charge extra but they should be made aware.
- Easily transportable, on-the-go gluten free foods can be your best friend during foreign travel. Stock your suitcase with some of your favourites.
Our tips for staying gluten free when on holiday
- Communication and making sure your needs are understood is key. The fantastic charity Coeliac UK has produced some amazing in-country guides, which are packed full of information about local cuisine, labelling laws and useful translated phrases. Eating out? Print one off and take it with you!
- Remember that some pharmacies now stock gluten free foods under the diet sections – if you’re having trouble at supermarkets you can always look there instead.
Remember to always follow your instincts. You know your condition best, so listen to what your body tells you. If in doubt, we like to play it safe – no one wants to feel ill on holiday.
Have a great trip!
Keep your eyes peeled for next week’s blog – we’ll be listing our top 10 on-the-go gluten free snacks which are perfect for taking away with you!