There’s a reason it’s a classic. This teatime staple is the perfect balance of light, fluffy vanilla sponge with layers of sweet, fruity jam and silky buttercream – and it just so happens to be gluten, wheat and dairy free! With the help of our award-winning Gluten & Dairy Free Vanilla Sponge Mix, creating the quintessential Gluten Free Victoria Sponge is (ahem) a piece of cake.
Our Ultimate Gluten Free Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
It’s time to grab our Gluten & Dairy Free Vanilla Sponge Mix from the cupboard and create some gluten free magic. So simple to whip up, it can be in the oven within five minutes and ready for eating under an hour. No messing about weighing flour and sugar – with our mix it’s all done for you.
You will need:
For the vanilla sponge:
- 1 x 400g pack Delicious Alchemy Gluten & Dairy Free Vanilla Sponge Mix
- 180g soft unsalted butter (or dairy free equivalent)
- 3 large eggs (click here for our egg free recipe)
- 20ml water
For the filling:
- 5 tbsp good quality strawberry or raspberry jam
- 140g unsalted butter (or dairy free equivalent)
- 280g icing sugar
- 20-30ml milk (or dairy free alternative)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 160°C Fan assisted).
- Grease and line the base of two 20cm round cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- Place the cake mix, soft butter (or dairy free alternative), eggs and water into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat together with an electric whisk for 15 seconds. Stop, scrape down the bowl and mix for a further 10 seconds.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread in an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, before turning the cakes out and leaving to cool completely.
- Now make the buttercream – whisk the butter until soft, then sift in the icing sugar, beating until smooth.
- Add the milk (or dairy free alternative) gradually as required, until you get a smooth fluffy buttercream.
- Spread or pipe the buttercream on to one of the sponge cakes, then top liberally with jam and place the second sponge on top.
- Dust with a sprinkling of icing sugar
It’s as simple as that! Now you’ve mastered the essential Gluten Free Victoria Sponge, why not try something a little more ‘out there’? How about our Gluten Free Cherry Bakewell Tart, or perhaps our Courgette, Lemon & Poppyseed Loaf Cake?